Thursday, October 28, 2010

What is Rome: Exhilarating or Oppressive?

The British journalist H.V. Morton said that the history of Rome is both “exhilarating and oppressive for the traveler.” This quote really speaks to me and my experience thus far in Rome. The definition of an open air museum is “an outdoor area where works of art, scientific specimens, or other objects of permanent value are kept and displayed.” The whole city of Rome is an open air museum; visibly free for the public to enjoy and learn from making the city, for me, exhilarating.
While visiting the Protestant Cemetery that held its first burial in 1738, I saw a pyramid, built in 12 B.C by an ex-slave, that was eventually built into the cemetery wall and next to the pyramid on the wall was plaques dedicated to the men who liberated Rome during World War II. Literally, in one place there is over 2000 years of history free for public view. The idea that Rome itself is an open air museum is exhilarating because as a history major being able to see and touch something that has impacted not only our whole society today, but other societies throughout time is amazing.
Looking through the old streets, down little alley ways with shops that were opened hundreds of years ago add to the ambiance of the city. Not only does ancient Roman architecture deserve credit as being “history” but the history of Rome itself creates hundreds, even thousands of years of history that should be revered and appreciated by everyone that visits this place.
Rome has been like a rollercoaster for me; let down, then surprise, and then another let down but the history remains regardless of the feelings that I have towards it. To me, this is why Rome is such a great and exhilarating place. There is so much history here that anyone can find something that interests them and with so many things visible for free it allows people to have the opportunity to see what they love and to experience their own version of Rome. Like I said, Rome as a whole is filled with the most interesting history that intertwines throughout time, like the cemetery and the pyramid, creating an exhilarating atmosphere, that I feel, makes Rome the city that it is today.  

4 comments:

  1. Megan,
    You are right about everyone being able to find something they are interested in. I mean the variety of art is so great. They have paintings, statues, sculptures, architecture, and even pyramids and obelisks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with how you said your visits been a rollercoaster, I think Ive been let down and suprised as well at the sites we've seen. I also agree that the age of everything is a huge factor in why its so exhilarating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about this trip having its disappointing moments and then its more exhilarating ones. Your perspective of how the history remains the same even if you aren't personally impressed is a good one to have. I know for me that it has been hard to be disappointed a lot, but I am going to try and think of it as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! I feel that we really need to appreciate what is being shown to us because like you said, there is so much history behind it all. We take for granted that we get to be here and see these museums, cemeteries, statues, that can date back to the 6 B.C and it is just amazing. Regardless of our feelings towards what we are being shown, the history is not going to change and it is a part of an amazing story. I love the open air museum part too but like you said, I agree that there have been some let downs. I am really just trying to have an open mind and take everything that I can in because we do not know if we are going to get another chance like this. I know I commented on Alyssa’s blog but I want to let you know too, but you, Alyssa, and Dr. Selby have really got me interested in all this history stuff! I have never been a huge fan and now I just want to keep learning and be able to shout out dates and times like you guys do! It is so interesting and it has been such an amazing ride and it is only going to get better!

    ReplyDelete