Sunday, November 7, 2010

Does hitsory bolster or limit faith??

 Faith is the belief that is not based on proof and is the backbone of any religion. Being Catholic, I would hope that my faith was enough to allow me to feel a certain “hominess” in Rome but after being here, I think that some soul searching is needed to become more aware of my own beliefs and spirituality. The history behind many of the places that we have visited in Rome is from the Christian tradition. In the church Scala Santa in Rome there are steps that are said to have led up to Pontius Piolate  in Jerusalem, which Jesus Christ stood on during his passion on his way to trial. The stairs were, reputedly, brought to Rome by St. Helena in the 4th Century. For centuries, the Scala Santa has attracted Christian pilgrims who wished to honor the Passion of Jesus. Although faith gives us the strength to believe that these stairs are Holy, historians argue that there is no evidence of these stairs being walked on by Jesus Christ.
     I personally think that, as of right now in my life, history does not bolster or limit my religious faith. Many people think that it is impossible to have faith in Christianity and faith in history or science and I would have to disagree with them. Many people living in the time when Christianity was becoming legalized in Rome thought that the only way to think was the way of Jesus. It makes me think about when people thought that the world was flat or that the earth was the center of the universe because we were chosen by God and therefore “special” in every way.  After these beliefs were challenged by Christopher Columbus and Galileo Galilei people then had the opportunity to think about what they believed in and how they wanted to, not necessarily challenge them, but see if  their faith could withstand the new thoughts of the era.
     Going back to the steps at Scala Santa, I just want to say that I did not kneel my way up to the top. Some of my classmates decided to so and I am glad that they had that experience but for me, it is almost sacrilegious to do something religious when it does not feel right. I think that I allow the history of the steps to be my excuse for the reason why I did not kneel on the steps; being a history major, saying I could not do it because it was not “real” seemed much easier than saying that I was not interested in becoming upset at how my faith has dwindled and going up the steps would only remind me of how separated I feel from my faith. 
     Like I said before, I do not think that history bolsters or limits my faith, although I sometimes use it as my excuse for not being as religious as I should be. All of these holy places in Rome that I should feel elated about visiting have just been falling flat for me. I am not sure if it is due to the fact that I know the history behind what I am seeing and it causes me to feel disappointment because I know that certain things are not true or they are challenged by historical evidence. I plan on taking this time in Rome to, hopefully, get back on the right track for myself regarding my faith or to finally realize that it is ok to think differently and to believe in different things.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your outlook of faith and history. I too could not climb the steps of Santa Scala, but was glad that other people in our group did. I hope that you find yourself, spiritually and otherwise on this trip - I hope much the same for myself.
    I also understand the disappointment that goes with seeing these historic places. I find myself trying to separate history from actuality in these cases, and then reflecting upon them later. In any case, I hope that you will be able to find a common ground between history and faith, without having to give up on either.

    ReplyDelete