Friday, November 19, 2010

American Leisure -or- Roman Leisure??

     I personally think that leisure is something earned. It is doing something that makes you happy and allows you to relax and not think of anything stressful. With that in mind, I do not have much time for leisure here in Rome; up for 8:30 class, catch the train into the city by 10:24, going to a prearranged site until about 2:00, catching the train back to campus around 3:00, then finishing up homework with a possible group activity until dinner at 8:00.
     This week, I took extra time to watch for ways that Italians think of leisure. According to the readings that were assigned this week, leisure to Italians and Americans, well at least to me, are totally different things. Here in Rome there is a park called Villa Borghese and it is comparable to Central Park in New York City. Many people come to this park to run in the morning, ride their bike on a nice day, and just to be out in the open air. In the park there are historical references to the Borghese family, one of the most influential, powerful, and wealthy families in Rome during the 17th century. For many Italians spending a day in this park is considered leisure. Another leisure activity that I have found to be popular in Rome is to hang out in the Piazzas.
     For me, my idea of leisure is not really something the people associate with leisure. I enjoying playing sports and being able to put all my energy and frustration into something constructive. I have played sports all of my life and think that, for my definition of leisure, playing sports allows me to relax and to forget about the drama that has unfolded during the day. Another thing that I do for leisure is sing. I enjoy singing even more than I enjoy playing sports! 
     I think that after I go home and think about the time that I have spent in Rome, my ideas of leisure and how I spend my time will not change. I think that there are Italians out there that enjoy the same leisure that I do, but I also think that as a culture, Italians do not spend their time playing sports and singing to relax. I think that they understand that leisure means, to a certain extent, being lazy; doing things that are not work related and shooing away things that being them stress. Back home, more people are apt to not take time for themselves and to constantly worry about work instead of being happy and taking time for themselves. More Americans should take note on that aspect of Italian leisure; let go of everything and make yourself happy for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment