Thursday, November 25, 2010

Catholicism: Roman Institution as well as a Universal One

I have grown up thinking that the Catholic Church is more of a Roman institution than a universal one. However, being in Rome for the past six weeks and also going to the Papal audience has shown me that it is quite the opposite. Although it is still quite Roman, I think that it is more of a universal institution but in order to get the full “Catholic” experience you must travel to Rome.
The Bishop of Rome, the Pope, is the successor of Saint Peter and is the representative of Christ on earth; the visible head of the Catholic Church. This was the perfect thing to remember when I went to the Papal audience yesterday morning. I thought that it would have been a very different experience. Thinking back to all of the Churches that I had visited in Rome thus far, they were extremely quiet places where people had gone to reflect on themselves. At the audience, it felt more like a football game or soccer match. People were yelling, screaming, and, to me, rudely interrupting the bishops speaking and the Pope.
People had come from all over the world to see the Pope and to hear him speak, proving to me that the Church is more of a universal institution because although we are in Italy, the gospel and the greeting were done in many different languages so that everyone could be addressed. However, one of the biggest things that I do not like about coming to Rome and the fact that Catholicism is a universal concept, is that people who can only grasp the significance of seeing the Pope or visiting important Churches, to me, only come to “see” them and people like me, or people on a pilgrimage, come not only to see but to pay respect. It showed just how much the Pope is idolized by people when he should be getting their utmost respect and reverence. He is, after all, representing Christ on earth.
I would say that historically, the Catholic Church has been more of a Roman institution based on the events that have happened here; including the crucifixion of Saint Peter and the horrible persecutions under Nero of the Catholics. These types of incidents have brought pilgrims to Rome and have made Rome the city of Catholicism. It has been quite a religious journey for me being in Rome and I will defiantly take what I have learned about myself spiritually and build off of it when I return home. One of the best things that I have learned is that although I can see the history of my faith in Rome, my faith does not depend on Rome.  In fact, Rome depends on my faith and that is why, I think, Rome is such a religious place; building off of the faith from all the believers around the world.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you that I felt like I was at a sporting even when we went to see the pope. It was my favorite thing we have done on the trip,and I also think this is biggest thing that showed me just how universal the church really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you mean about the differences between people who come to "see" the Church and those who come to pay their respect to the Church. I know that there are some people who probably come to Rome so they can say that they were here, but as soon as they return home it just becomes a story. To me, it seems like people are more willing put on an act of being pious just because they are actually in the center of the Catholic world, but they don't get the true meaning/significance of the experience. It is the pilgrims and travelers, like you, who will gain the most out of their experience of being in Rome because they are more open to exploring their faith and see the true significance of the Catholic Church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you completely that the Catholic Church is a universal institution. It really hit me as the Pope was reading his document in so many different languages! Also, when he greeted each group who attended the Audience. I really felt that the Catholic Church was reaching out to everyone around the world in that moment, welcoming them in.

    ReplyDelete